Having a sunny day in Bristol is not a frequent event. Coming from a sunny country, you would expect this to take a toll on me but, in fact, I quickly adapted. Whenever a ray of sunshine is out I enjoy it as much as possible! Turning a bit British I think…
What better way to enjoy a summer day than playing a bit in the kitchen and making a refreshing dessert?
Creamy Berries (serves 4)
- 300 ml of fresh double cream
- 3 egg whites
- 8 tbsp of sugar
- 100 g of blackberries
- 150 g of raspberries
- 4 strawberries
- In a small pan heat half of the blackberries and raspberries with 5 tbsp of sugar. Stir and, as the berries soften up, mash them. You can use a masher to get them into a nice look-a-like jam. In case this mixture gets too thick add a bit of water. Wait for it to cool.
- Meanwhile, pour the double cream into a bowl and whisk it. Before it gets thick add 2 tbsp of sugar, whisking again.
- In a new bowl whisk the egg whites until thick. Add the remaining 1 tbsp of sugar and whisk a bit more.
- Add the egg whites to the whipped cream. Mix well.
- Cut the remaining berries in halves.
- In small glass bowls or glasses, pour a portion of the cream mixture up to half. Lay the chopped berries on top of the cream, being careful to split the berries through the four bowls/glasses. Fill with an additional portion of cream.
- Sieve the berries sauce into a glass. Pour the sieved sauce on top of the cream and decorate with a fanned strawberry, leaves of peppermint, or some berries. You may reserve the remaining sauce to use in other recipes.
- Keep in the fridge until it is served.