I saw this pasta packet while I was in line for boarding in Rome and it looked so good…
It’s called cavatelli and its made of durum wheat semolina. Did some reading on it and, apparently, it is a product from Sicily and southern Italy and its shape is good to hold thick sauces.
Creamy Cavatelli with Pancetta and Mushrooms (serves 4)
- 200 g of pancetta in cubes
- 2 sticks of fresh rosemary
- 10 mushrooms
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 300 g of cavatelli pasta (you can replace it with penne pasta)
- 150 ml of cream
- 1 egg
- 3 full tbsp of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- parsley to decorate
- salt and pepper
- Heat a non-stick frying pan for 30 seconds and put the pancetta in it. There is no need to use fat since the pancetta will release its own as it cooks.
- Wash the rosemary sticks in hot water, and remove the leaves by running your hand down from the top to the bottom of the stick. By doing so you should get in one hand the leaves and on the other the “clean” sticks. Add the rosemary to the pancetta. Let it cook in medium fire.
- Wash the mushrooms thoroughly and slice them thinly. When the pancetta is turning a bit more pink, and has released most of its fat, add the mushrooms. And let it cook in low fire. If this mixture gets too dry you can add a couple of olive oil spoons (I used two).
- When the mushrooms get soft start cooking the pasta. In pan boil some salted water, add a spoon of olive oil, and cook the past as per the packet instructions (10-12 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the cream with the egg, 3 tbsp of grated cheese and the lemon juice. Season with pepper. I didn’t add any salt here since the pancetta is already quite salted.
- As soon as the pasta is cooked, drain it and add it in the pancetta and mushrooms mixture. Turn the heat off. Stir gently as you slowly add the sauce in order for the sauce to cook slowly and adhere to the pasta. The idea is that the egg in the sauce will cook slowly with the heat from the pasta.
- Serve immediately in four plates, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and decorate with parsley.