Decided to surprise him yesterday with a lemon sponge cake. It’s a simple cake that you can cook easily and with a few number of ingredients but it still tastes great. I had mine with lemon curd and a sprinkle of icing sugar!
Lemon Sponge Cake
- 250 g of butter
- 250 g of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 250 g of self raising flour
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- Heat the oven to 180ºC.
- Mix the butter with the sugar until pale. You can leave the butter out of the fridge for a couple of hours and use it when it is soft or you can simp ly melt it. Add the eggs and mix well.
- Sift over the flour gradually and mix well between additions. You will get a thick dough. Add the lemon zest and juice and mix well.
- Grease a cake tin with some butter and sprinkle with flour making sure the inside of the tin is completely covered. Remove the excess flour by gently shaking the tin cake turned down into the sink.
- Put the dough inside the tin and spread it evenly with a spatula. Bake for 45 minutes until a skewer inserted into it comes out clean (with no dough attached).
- Let it cool within the bake tin for 5 minutes and, after that, turn it on to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve simple or with lemon curd, whipped cream or ice cream.