BBQs are quite frequent in Portugal, especially during Summer. A very typical thing to have on a Saturday afternoon is espetadas. It’s basically meat and a couple of vegetables on a stick but it’s quite different from kebab in terms of taste.
In Portugal you can buy espetadas in most supermarkets but the homemade ones are so much better!
This is an easy and tasty summer dish, which is a bit different from what you traditionally find in a British BBQ, but I think you will enjoy it.
Meat on a Stick (serves 3)
- 250 g of diced pork
- 250 g of diced cow
- 1/2 orange pepper (you can use any other type)
- 1/2 onion
- 1/4 chourizo
- salt, pepper and powder garlic
- Try to buy a tender meat. For the pork I bought some pork fillet and diced it myself.
- Wash the pepper and remove all the seeds. Cut the pepper into pieces of around 3cm x 3cm (1”x1”).
- Cut the onion in three pieces and them in halves.
- Slice the chorizo in thick slices.
- Using a long skewer start filling it with the several ingredients. This amount will be enough for at least 6 skewers. I typically start and finish with either the pepper or the onion because the top and end tend to get a bit more burnt in the BBQ. Even if you don’t eat the pepper or the onion it will give a very tasty flavour to the adjacent meat.
- Season the meat sticks with salt, peppers and powder garlic.
- Grill in low fire rotating frequently in order to assure that the meat is cooked evenly. You can also cook them on an electric grill (as I did) or on a grill pan.
- Serve directly on the skewer with fries and a nice salad.