A friend of mine gave me the recipe for the cake and I’ve been baking these cupcakes for every occasion since then. I’ve done them in several colours and different toppings.
They always look cool and taste so good!
Red Velvet Cupcakes (12 cupcakes)
- 55 g of salted butter
- 150 g of sugar
- 1 egg
- 125 g of sifted flour
- 1 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 120 ml buttermilk or 120 ml of milk and 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp of liquid red food colouring
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 300 ml of double cream
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- sugar dough paste or sugar sprinkles to decorate
- Pre-heat the oven at 180ºC.
- In a large bowl mix well the butter with the sugar. You can use the butter at room temperature or melted. Add the egg and mix well until you get a light and fluffy mixture.
- In a bowl mix the flour with the cocoa powder.
- In a recipient, add the food coIouring to the buttermilk. Mix well. In case you don’t have buttermilk, you can use simple milk and add a tbsp of lemon juice. Let it rest for 5 minutes and it will be ready to use.
- Start adding alternately the flour and milk to the butter mixture. You should start by adding half of the flour, then the buttermilk, and finally the remaining flour.
- In a small bowl or cup, mix the baking soda with the lemon juice and let it fizz. Mix well into the cupcakes dough.
- Drop the dough into the cupcake cases until they cover approximately 2/3 of the case.
- Cook for approximately 15 minutes and test if they’re cooked by sticking a skewer on a cupcake and verifying if it comes out clean (with no dough attached).
- Let them cool before topping with the cream.
- Whisk the cream until it starts to get thick. Add the sugar and whisk a bit more until you get some thick whipped cream.
- With the help of two spoons cover the cupcakes with the cream. You can use a cream dispenser for a more “clean” look. Decorate with sugar dough paste figures or sugar sprinkles.