I love a good soup! In Portugal it’s quite a typical thing to have before the main dish. I usually make a big quantity and freeze it in small bowls with uni-doses. Quite handy on busy days!
Although I’m used to a rich soup with a lot of solid ingredients, this time I went with a creamy luxurious one.
Green Peas Soup (serves 6)
- 1/2 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 slices of smoked bacon
- 500 g of green peas
- 400 g of potatoes
- sal and pepper
- Chop the onion and the garlic clove. Cook it with the olive oil and a slice of bacon in low fire.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in quarters. Wash well.
- When the onion is soft and cooked add the potatoes and the green peas and cover with water. Season with salt and pepper and let it cook for approximately 30 minutes until the potatoes break under slight pressure of a fork.
- When the vegetables are cooked, remove the bacon and blend the remaining mixture with a food processor. Season with salt and pepper, if needed, and cook for an additional period of 5 minutes.
- Cook the bacon in a non-stick frying pan or grill until it gets toasted and crunchy. Grind the bacon roughly in the food processor.
- Serve the soup in individual plates/bowls and sprinkle each one with a tbsp of bacon.