My sister is a bit of a fussy eater and, as years went by, she developed a taste for more healthy food. This is something very odd in my family… Being Portuguese we typically love our meat and rich sauces.
Surprisingly, my mom adjusted a bit to these tastes and started cooking a vast range of vegetarian food. This dish is inspired on one of my mom’s dishes.
Spinach and Cheese Crêpes (serves 4)
- 100 g of flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 500 g of spinach baby leaves
- 300 g of cottage cheese (in Portugal use requeijão)
- 100 g of walnuts
- salt and pepper
- In a bowl mix the flour with the milk, the melted butter and the egg. Make sure the dough is smooth by using the food processor, if needed.
- Grease a 20 cm non-stick frying pan with a small portion of butter. Heat the frying pan in medium fire and, after approximately 30 seconds, pour one ladle of dough on the frying pan. Make sure the dough covers the bottom of the frying pan by gently swirling the frying pan. The dough will immediately start to cook covering the base of the pan.
- Let it cook until the crêpe separates from the frying pan when you swirl it gently. The base of the crêpe will look cooked with some golden bits. Flip the crêpe around and let it cook until the two sides of the crêpe are completely cooked.
- Repeat until you are out of dough. Place each crêpe in its serving plate.
- Peel and slice the garlic clove. In a frying pan cook the garlic with the olive oil in low fire.
- When the garlic becomes golden, add the washed spinach baby leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Stir gently making sure the spinach cooks evenly. They will become darker and tender.
- Place the cooked spinach in a bowl. Discard any excess grease left on the frying pan.
- Add the cottage cheese and the slightly broken walnuts to the spinach. Season and mix well. Save some walnuts and cottage cheese to decorate.
- Fill the center part of the crêpes with the spinach and cheese mixture. Close the crêpes by folding first one side in and then the other. Decorate with some cottage cheese and walnuts.