After Halloween, I was planning to use the pumpkin to bake a cake but it looked so lovely that we couldn’t destroy our master piece! I was left with a lot of eggs and no pumpkin… So, decided to cook a quiche.
Bacon and Broccoli Quiche (serves 5)
- 175 g of flour
- 75 g of salted butter
- 3 tbsp of water
- 5 slices of smoked bacon
- 1/3 of a broccoli (approximately 100 g)
- 2 tomatoes
- 5 eggs
- 150 ml of double cream
- 50 g of grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven at 180ºC.
- Melt the butter. In a bowl mix the butter with the flour until you get a sandy mixture. Add the water, if needed, to give some cohesion to the dough. Form a ball with it and cool it in the fridge for approximately 30 minutes.
- Grease a tart or a sandwich pan. With your fingers spread the dough making sure that the sides of the pan are covered with a slightly thicker layer of dough, while the bottom is covered with a thinner layer of dough.
- Pierce the dough sparingly with a fork. Cover the dough with some baking parchment and fill it with baking beans. Bake in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove the baking beans and the parchment and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a non-stick frying pan or a griller. After it is cooked, cut it into medium sized pieces (approximately 2.5 x 2.5 cm / 1” x 1”).
- Wash the tomatoes and slice them into small cubes.
- Wash the broccoli and use only the flower heads part, cutting it into chunks.
- In a bowl, mix the bacon, the tomatoes and the broccoli. Fill the cooked tart with this mixture.
- In a bowl, mix well the eggs, the cream and the grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Pour this mixture into the tart.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until the cream is toasted.
- Take out of the pan and serve hot or cooled down.