These cakes will cook really quickly and will grow like a soufflé but, after removing from the oven, it will reduce a little (like the last soufflé I did…).
Chocolate Lava Cakes (serves 4)
- 100 g of butter
- 150 g of semi-sweet chocolate
- 3 small or medium eggs
- 60 g of sugar
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- Pre-heat the oven at 200ºC.
- Butter four ramekins (200 ml capacity each) and dust them with white granulated sugar.
- Cut the butter and the chocolate into pieces and place it in a small pan or a heatproof bowl. Place this pan/bowl into a large pan with simmering water and melt the chocolate and butter. Stir to help it melt.
- In a large bowl mix the egg yolks with the 60g of sugar. Beat well until you get a light yellow mixture.
- Add the melted chocolate and butter to the egg yolks and mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until they get thick. Add a tbsp of sugar and whisk again until you get a stiff peaks.
- Gently incorporate the egg whites into the chocolate mixture with a spatula, being careful not to whisk or stir this dough much.
- Pour the mixture into the ramekins and cook in the oven for approximately 10 to 15 minutes. The cakes will grow and will have a nice cooked layer on top.
- Remove from the oven carefully, since the ramekins will be quite hot, and serve sprinkled with some icing sugar and red berries.