When I moved to London, our first guest was a Portuguese old friend that brought us an assortment of these delicious snacks from a Portuguese shop near his place in London. I didn’t realise I missed it so much…
After that, I decided to try to cook some by myself. Today’s recipe is for Portuguese Croquettes. I cooked them with pork but they typically included beef too.
Portuguese Meat Croquettes (20 to 30 units)
- 350 g of pork minced meat
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 60 g of chorizo
- 1 tbsp of chopped parsley
- 60 g of butter
- 200 ml of milk
- 1 small onion
- 80 g of flour
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Salt, pepper, nutmeg and dry thyme
- 2 eggs
- bread crumbs
- vegetable oil
- In a food processor, chop the garlic and the chorizo. Cook it with two tbsp of butter in a non-stick frying pan.
- When the mixture has cooked for 1-2 minutes add the meat. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Stir occasionally and let it cook until the meat is duly fried.
- Take out of the fire and chop this mixture in the food processor. Add the chopped parsley and let it rest.
- Chop the onion thinly. In a pan, cook the onion with the remaining butter in low fire.
- When the onion is golden and soft add the flour and mix well. Slowly add the milk, while steering, making sure that the flour dissolves and creating a thick sauce. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and lemon juice.
- Add the meat and mix well until the mixture separates easily from the pan.
- Turn the fire off and let it rest until the mixture is at room temperature.
- Using approximately one tbsp of dough, shape the dough into one small cylindrical form. Place on the croquette on a large tray or plate previously sprinkled with flour. Repeat until you finish the dough. Depending on the size of your croquettes you should get between 20 and 30 units.
- Get two small bowls and mix the eggs in one and place a good quantity of bread crumbs in the other. One by one, cover the croquettes first with eggs and after with bread crumbs, by dipping them first in the eggs and then in the bread crumbs.
- Fry them in hot vegetable oil or freeze them before frying for future use. You will be able to fry them directly from the freezer.